14 March 2010

My Dad Is the BEST Dad Ever

Because this morning, he woke up early, picked me up at 7am and drove me to the Target out in College Point for Liberty of London at Target.

On the way, however, he mildly chided me for getting him out of bed and schlepping him over when he said, "Missy, you need to learn how to drive. SOON." (Working on it, dad...)

I have had my eyes on these kinds of prints since Fall 2004 when I stumbled upon the Liberty of London store on Regents Street in London; I was able to pick up really affordable neck scarves in Japan in their bright prints. Great with a white tshirt and simple shorts with sandals during the summer.That said, I discovered while I was running around Target in circles, I can only really do Liberty prints in small doses. I tried on a few of the dresses, and wasn't really impressed with the fit. Also, I saw that the threads on the shirts started to fray even while they were on the rack. Not going to spend money on things that are already short of falling apart.

So, I focused my efforts on home goods and accessories - my dad and I got to Target at 7:40 and waited in the parking lot. At 7:59, I bolted out of the car (not like there was anyone there, really) and was the second person in the store. My first aquisition? The Stick Umbrella in Mark Pink:
Hanging off the door in the entry hall of my apartment.
Detail of the pattern.

The minute I saw the umbrella in the previews, I knew I needed to get it - I had an umbrella very similar to this when I lived in Japan. It was polka dots, survived numerous bike rides (I would stick it through the rear fender on my bike as I zipped around Kyoto in case it rained), I left it outside on my bike and brought it back home with me - only to have it stolen one day in the library when I was in grad school. I miss that umbrella. Now I have a really good replacement!

This was in the accessories section the minute you walk into the store, so I grabbed it. There were only 3 and as the morning wore on, people kept on asking me where I got it. Sold out within 15 minutes of the store opening.

I saw the pillows and the bedding and while the prints were nice, again, for me it really didn't suit. In terms of my personal style with regards to decorating, I'm more of a DwellStudio kind of person. That, and I have a brown couch and none of the pillows matched.

Those were gone within half an hour, too. The bedding kept refilling during the day. No matter. I had bigger fish to fry.

That fish were rainboots. The Poppy Pink rainboots to be exact. After I grabbed my umbrella and tried on and rejected the dresses, I was out on the lookout for rainboots. My Tretorns cracked, and I promised a friend that I would get the boots for her too.

Little bit of a problem: they were not out on the shelf. Turns out, the Target out in College Point was really unprepared for the (small) onslaught of Liberty-obsessed women dragging their husbands/boyfriends and in my case my dad (like The Aussie would really put up with these kinds of shenanigans, my dad likes to shop) so very few things were out on the shelf.

So my dad and I waited. I told the Target people that I am on the lookout for the boots.

We waited some more. My dad retreated to the Starbucks while I continued my loop through the store. While I looped I picked up the following goodies:
Two each of the Dunclare Pink and Black small acrylic tumblers.
I have broken all of our water glasses, so these were a cute replacement.
The Dunclare Pink small tumblers were sold out by the time my dad and I left.
I don't know the name of this print (it's not even online) but I liked this acrylic tray alot. I saw it in the shopping cart one of the Target employees was using to bring stuff out to shelf - people were already picking at the shopping cart while he was unloading. I like it because it has a nice print, but it's subtle. I got this for the living room. Detail of design.Lotus and White Flower Candle - it smells HEAVENLY. I originally had the Sweet Grapefruit
but went back to the display as I waited for those rainboots and swapped it for the
Lotus one because again, the shelves were not fully prepped.
Apparently, this is supposed to be for the garden (the picture in the label shows it stuffed
with leaves, but I use it as a really awesome and adorable hamper.
The Aussie and I needed a new one BADLY).


At some point during the proceedings, I even took my cart, left the empty shelves that I was keeping guard (seriously, it was that mildly crazy) and had breakfast at Starbucks. Unfortunately, by the time we left, the employees still didn't put put the teapots and the ceramic mugs and didn't even have those in their stockroom, so I was a bit disappointed.

My poor dad took it all in stride (and kept commenting to me in Greek his astonishment at how all of this stuff is practically gone within 20 minutes), and kept himself occupied by looking at the grills in the summer/garden section. Even he got in on the Liberty fun when he saw the watering cans next to the grills and asked if we should pick one up for my mom. We got her the one in the Dunclare black pattern.

And then the boots finally arrived. I was waiting with one other woman who had her cart stuffed with pillows; this English lady came by with her cart (later on in the morning, we were both there since 8am) and was oohing and aaahing over the pillows. She saw my umbrella, peered into my cart and said, "That's ALL your getting??!?!?!?!" I like Liberty but small doses work for me. I didn't want to get stuff that I barely needed just because it says Liberty on the inside tag.

Did I ever mention that while my dad and I got to Target at 7:40, the boots finally came at 11am? We waited three hours for rainboots! I can't beleive I did that. Still, I promised my friend I would get her the boots and I got her the boots.
Like? I'm a bit iffy on them, but they are growing on me.

The funny thing was, everyone started to crowd around the boots section, and I noticed that there was only enough room on the display for 1 boot per size. So my evolving tactic was to let the Target people know (politely and graciously) that I am looking for a 9 and 10. I pretty much made myself known, since the employees that were on the "Great Liberty of London for Target Rainboot Search of 2010" saw me at oh, 8:15 in the morning when I asked for them in the first place.

So the one employee who knew the sizes I needed was holding the boxes, and walking down towards the display was short of accosted by other girls asking for the sizes. Her response, was "We only got five pairs for the entire store, and these are marked for that lady over there [me!] because she has been waiting patiently since 8am."

And with that, my dad and I got the boots and hightailed it out of Target. My dad also picked up some cucumber and parsley seeds for his garden in the backyard, which guarantees my mother using her new watering can (she loved it!) a lot this Spring.

THANKS DAD!
(^_^)

Did anyone have a chance to check out Liberty of London? I read online that the pop-up store here in NYC sold out and is already closed!

3 comments:

  1. What great shopping!! I love the stuff you came away with (^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you lost the umbrella we bought at the umbrella shop in Kawaramachi? What a shame.. It was rweally a nice one. I also saw japanese clothes brand in Harajuku carrying dresses by Liberty. Just in time for spring?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did great! I went around noon and my Target was cleaned out. I really wanted the umbrella but they were out. I got the same candle as you and a storage box. I'll probably go back at some point...I really wanted the tray and canisters, hopefully they'll restock.

    ReplyDelete