12 September 2010

Feeling Inspired

It's been awhile. I needed to take a little vacation away from the blog, and now with fall around the corner, I feel the urge to blog again. I felt like this summer wasn't very blog worthy and as opposed to fill the space up with random rambles (which I am trying to cut back on) I decided to lay low for awhile.

But now I'm back - there is something in the upcoming fall air that is making me want to blog again. That and I am feeling inspired lately - I finally convinced The Aussie that we need to decorate our apartment (after a year we still have nothing on our walls besides the bulletin board we made for our wedding) and we will, if a bit slowly (which is on my 26 Before 26 list). I think once a month I will make a purchase towards our place, be it big or small.

For the month of September it was throw pillows, or actually, throw pillow covers. This are my current pillows, that came with the couch:Ugly, ugly, ugly. I got the bag in Italy in case anyone was wondering - more on the Italian honeymoon in another post. I love our couch - it's a Pottery Barn feeling without the Pottery Barn pricetag and the pillows did come for free but the colors are gross. I'm going for a chocolate brown, cream and somewhere in the range of robin's egg blue to aqua for the living room and these will not do.

Since West Elm has free shipping, I thought I'd give these three pillow covers, using my old pillows as inserts a shot:
Alpaca Textured Pillow Cover in Oregano (bottom left)
Profile Silk Pillow Cover
Solid Silk Handloomed Pillow Cover in Blue Sage (middle)

Let's see how this turns out. The Profile Pillow cover is a bit of a lark, but if I really like it I could always put it in the bedroom. I want a bed with tons of pillows like how you see in the department stores. Also want to get a lumbar pillow for the couch.

Technically, I could knit myself some awesome pillow covers out of chunky cotton or sew myself one, but as I have eleven knitting projects on the needles, a wrist that is acting out again and no access (or skills - yet) to a sewing machine, I'll work with what I've got which is online shopping.

I'm on the lookout for some really good home decorating resources besides (what I call) The Big Three: Pottery Barn, Crate and Barrel and West Elm (with a dash of Target and IKEA on the side). Anyone have any ideas? I'm going for a modern/urban/Pottery Barn look (it's the couch that calls for it, sigh - The Aussie picked it) with a wee touch of glam in terms of accessories.

Up next in terms of decorating: frames. Tons of frames. Going to wait for my next Michael's coupon for that. Also curtains. We only have one (big) window in the living room, so that means we can go a little overbaord with the curtains. I like the Pottery Barn Alessandra Curtains in blue since it brings a bit of a patter into an otherwise solid-colored living room. We plan to save money on the curtain rod (while will be oil-rubbed bronze to match my pharmacy lamp) by going to Century 21 in Brooklyn.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so jealous you can go to Century 21. They are mentioned all the time in In Style magazine and I get green with envy each time!

    ReplyDelete