31 March 2011

Trying to Find Inner Peace.

One two separate occasions this week, I almost quit my job. The one at the tutoring center that is. I could go on and on for a good 20 minutes about how poorly run and dirty it is, how my coworkers are immature dirty hipsters and how most students mistreat tutors in terms of what we are supposed to do.

But I won't. Because I have done so and I am trying to just survive there these days. I totally disagreed with something my day supervisor did to me today and she never lets anyone get a word in, so I decided from now on to just keep my mouth shut, and leave there on a good note.

I hope to never come back. You can get too comfortable there. One of my coworkers, who is also an adjunct told me that after his son was born he had an epiphany on how he realized that he was there for 10 years and does not know what to do next.

Don't get me wrong I love my classes. I have a good rapport with students (one called me a "groovy teacher" this week) and I get to teach them about Japan through writing and can change it up in a couple of years. For me, given that I will be teaching Special Education in the public schools this fall and going for my second Master's, I'm content with doing the professor thing on the side.

But the tutoring can suck the life and soul out of you.

That being said, I hope just getting this out there will purge me of the negativity and stress I've had as of late. I'm stress eating again, which isn't doing me any good. And while Curves really helped me lose the weight I needed so I can fit into my wedding dress, it isn't working anymore. My knees have also been bothering me as of late. That part is hereditary. But it's getting worse.

After realizing that this summer when I begin my program to become a teacher (there is a mandatory accelerated summer session) I will not be able to go to Curves at all. The timing won't work and it's not open Sundays. I'm also hoping to swing a Saturday class at the college to make a little extra money. Curves is open from 9-2 on Saturdays, so I can't make it there then.

I reconfigured my budget, and I am going to start going to Yoga at the studio in my neighborhood. I've been there before and Little Sister goes there too, so I know the teachers are great. I'm going to start again Hot Yoga (various forms) and they also have beginners Pilates classes on Sunday mornings. With the may my schedule is this semester, I can go Fridays-Mondays and maybe swing a Tuesday depending on how my body feels.

I am actually looking really forward to it - I know my body is going to be crying after this weekend, but it will be a good thing, especially if it also helps me regain a bit of my inner mental peace and help me feel a bit better and stronger about myself.

It also helps that Little Sister got me a new yoga bag since she took mine when she started up yoga. Pretty, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment