02 April 2011

The Black Hole

I got this idea from Alex over at Running Just as Fast as I Can - showing you what is in my bag, that is. You can really learn a lot from what is in someone's bag.

I have a lot of bags (what woman doesn't) but I do have a bag to hold all of my necessities to get me through the workday. I will say that being a teacher there is one thing that is usually in my bag but isn't at the moment - students' papers. I'm very good about leaving class materials at work in my office and bringing only the necessities but I haven't gotten the students' first essays yet. So let's also imagine a stack of papers 2 inches thick. I'm getting 60 of those by the end of the week.

First, I'd like for you to meet my everyday bag. I call it The Black Hole. It's the Herve Chapelier N925 Tote:

What have we got inside to start with?

First is the food related stuff - I bring my coffee and my lunch to work to save money. Lunch is in a mini Herve tote bag that I got years ago, just so that my tupperware and cutlery don't go all over the place. My Kate Spade thermos really does a good job of keeping my coffee warm, and I never leave the house without my handknit coffee cozy sleeve, in case I need more coffee. Try to save a little bit of paper. 

Next, we have my makeup pouch, which was a going away present when I was leaving Japan. From left to right we have Burt's Bees cuticle cream, 2 Bobbi Brown lip glosses and 2 Burt's Bees lip balms, a Tiffany pen, L'Occitane Hand Cream and below that we have a paper clip, band-aid, post-it flags, Sea Bands, rubber band and a mirror. 

I never leave the house without a knitting project. Here we have a pattern
 for socks, the bag its in and the beginnings of a sock. 

I also don't leave without my knitting kit bag. I got this pouch when I was in Italy on my honeymoon. Next to it is a Japanese box which stores a small sewing kit, then we have my needle size checker/gauge measurer, crochet hook, knitting needles for my interchangeable set, a highlighter, and Hello Kitty tin of stitch markers. Below, we have a Wraps Per Inch gauge in the shape of a sheep (measures the thickness of yarn), a darning needle, row counter, scissors and another tin of stitch markers. 

Next, is my Kate Spade pencilcase. Lots of pens, a mini ruler, hand sanitizer, dry-erase marker and lots and lots of binder clips and paper clips. Those are my saviors. 


Last but not least, my eyeglasses and sunglasses (both Ray-Ban), Driver's Manual (going for my permit by the end of the month), iPhone (in Kate Spade case), wallet (Kate Spade) more dry-erase makers, another binder clip, keys with USB stick attached and Bloom lip balm. 

Now you see why I call this bag "The Black Hole." In addition to all that other stuff, I can also throw in a set of gym clothes and shove my hat and fingerless mitts if it gets too hot. I need to keep things in pouches, or else they get lost in the depths of the bag and then I have to take everything out in order to get to it.  In addition:
  1. While I have way too much Kate Spade stuff for one bag, my love/obsession with it does not extend to eyeglasses or sunglasses. Classic Ray-Ban all the way. I also have the aviators, but my Wayfarers are prescription for distance (my prescription is weak - I see perfectly in terms of focus, but I have excessive eye strain and am near-sighted in one eye-farsighted in another. Both pairs are supposed to help me lessen the cross-eyed effect). 
  2. One can never have too many binder/paper clips. Especially when you are a teacher and can't really rely on your department to provide such office supplies. Plus, I like my colorful and fun supplies. 
  3. 2 lip glosses (granted, one is clear) and 3 lip balms. Too much.
  4. While my Sea Bands are with me usually, I am going to get another pair to keep in the glove compartment of my parents' car just in case I forget them. I keep them in the bag so that I know where they are. 
  5. There have been times when I forgot my knitting kit bag, and really regretted it. 
Still, I love this bag. It holds so much stuff and I am a stuff person, especially during college when I needed to carry things that I would need from when I left my parent's house at 6:30 to go to class until I came home at 10pm after running around to internship, gym, and class again.

This is actually my second one - I got my first Herve bag in 2001 when I was a senior in high school and that lasted me till 2007 when I got this one in Japan at the Herve store in Kyoto during the big July sales. I can also just chuck it in the wash, which is definitely a bonus (and why I won't get Longchamp bags). 

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you carry all that stuff. Is one shoulder lower than the other?? ha ha

    ReplyDelete